Friday, February 13, 2009

The Plan

Ok, as I said before, the whole issue of copyright law is kind of like a hydra. I know what I want to say ... but there is much background that needs to be established before I can even get to that. On the other hand, I don't want to leave this blog inactive for any great length of time and risk losing my (well, at the moment mostly hypothetical) readers. So for today's entry, I'm going to punt and just describe what I plan to do.

First I am going to go over a bit of what copyright law is, and isn't. As well as a number of changes that have been made to copyright law that affect how things are covered (no, I am not talking about the various term extensions -- everybody and their dog has covered those in depth). By the way, I can not recommend enough that you read McCauley's speech to Commons regarding copyright terms. (Actually there are two of them, both of which can be found in this article by Eric Flint for Baen's Universe.)

Anyway, so I plan to first cover a bit of what copyright law is and covers, and discuss some changes to it that affect what and how things are covered. Then I plan on discussing a few of the basic internet technologies and how copyright applies to them, both historically and currently.

As it may take me a while to marshal my arguments, I may also produce some filler articles on other subjects. Programming, book reviews, ebooks, and other things that may strike my fancy. However, the main focus of this blog shall still be addressing copyright law in the internet age.

So bear with me, there is indeed a Plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment